Wednesday 22 February 2012

My Lenten Promise

Hello my lovely followers!

Mardi Gras has come and gone, and since the day of gluttony is over, now starts the hard part: 40 days of giving up something. Today is in fact, Ash Wednesday - the day that symbolises Jesus entering the desert for 40 days and 40 nights.

So I'm thinking about what to give up. This morning as I was brushing my teeth and had a few minutes of reflection time, I thought to myself, "hey, what if I don't give anything up and just do extra good?" but then I realised that was a cop out, and at 5:30am, blamed the ghastly hour as cause for my brain not working at full potential.

A few years ago I gave up coffee. That didn't fare well - I was a miserable person and probably caused more damage in the world without it. The year after that, I gave up my morning cigarette (yes, terrible habit I know) and lasted about 3 hours before getting the shakes and succumbing to the nicotine demon. Last year I gave up spending money (other than gas and other necessities, coffee NOT included, thank you very much). It worked - until my LYS had a sale. Then it went down the drain and I continue to feel guilty about breaking my Lent promise. This year though, I'm caught between a rock and a hard spot. Do I give up yarn shopping or Nutella??

Nutella seems like the obvious choice for me, seeing as it's always in my pantry and in front of my face, so the temptation of it for 40 days should test my character and will. Yarn shopping however, can get out of control very quickly - but it's an out-of-sight-out-of-mind thing. Plus, yarn shopping is for the good of "The Little Cowl Company" clients (seeing as I've barely knit myself a cowl or anything else for that matter). I can't give up something that could so detrimentally affect someone else, now can I?! So I guess Nutella it is...ok fine, all chocolate for that matter. Might as well go hard or go home!
Wishing you all the luck if you decide to give something up! Stay strong, and knit on!


No comments:

Post a Comment